The BJP President today announced in a press conference that Bihar Governor, Shri Ram Nath Kovind will be the NDA’s Presidential candidate. Here is Shri Ram Nath Kovind’s brief profile.
— BJP (@BJP4India) June 19, 2017
Name: Shri Ram Nath Kovind
Father’s Name : Late Shri Maiku Lal
Mother’s Name: Late Shrimati Kalawati
Date of Birth : 1 October 1945
Place of Birth : Village Paraunkh, District Kanpur Dehat (Uttar Pradesh)
Spouse’s Name : Shrimati Savita
Education: B.Com., LL.B.from D.A.V.College, Kanpur (Uttar Pradesh)
1971-1975 : General Secretary, Akhil Bharatiya Koli Samaj
1977-1979 : Central Government Advocate in Delhi High Court
1982-1984: Central Government Junior Counsel in Supreme Court
1986 : General Secretary, Depressed Classes Legal Aid Bureau
1994-2000: Elected to the Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh
1995-1996: Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Communications
1995-1997: Member, Committee on Home Affairs
1996-1999: Member, Committee on the Welfare of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
1996-1999: Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Railways
1997: Member, B.J.P. National Executive Committee
1998-2000 & 2002-2004: Member, Committee on Petroleum and Chemicals
1998-2000 & 2002-2004: Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Civil Aviation
1999-2002: National President, B.J.P. Scheduled Caste Morcha
2000-2006: Elected to the Rajya Sabha for 2nd Term from Uttar Pradesh
2000-2004: Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
2000-2002: Member, Committee on Petitions
2002 -2004: Chairman, House Committee, Rajya Sabha
2002-2004: Member, General Purposes Committee
2002 : Member, Board of Governors, Indian Institute of Management, Kolkata
2003: Member, Board of Management of Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow
2015 onwards: Governor of Bihar
Highlights of his Career
- Represented India in United Nations (New York) and addressed United Nations General Assembly in October, 2002.
- Visited Thailand. Nepal, Pakistan, Singapore, Germany, Switzerland, France, United Kingdom and USA on Study Tour as Member of Parliament.
- Has been fighting for the Rights and Cause of Weaker Sections of the Society specially Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes/ OBC/Minority/Land Women from his student days.
- In the year 1997, some Government Orders were issued by the Central Government which adversely affected the interests of employees of the Scheduled Castes/Tribes. Shri Ram Nath Kovind joined the movement of SC/ST employees against the Central Government and consequently succeeded in getting those Government Orders null and void by the passage of three Amendments in the Constitution of India during the first NDA regime.
- Emphasized on the development of basic infrastructure for education in rural areas by helping in construction of school buildings in Uttar Pradesh and Uttrakhand under M.P. L.A.D. Scheme.
- Took a leading role in providing free legal aid to the weaker sections of society, specially SC/ST women, needy and the poor under the aegis of “Free Legal Aid Society” in Delhi.
Rajya Sabha Website
Website of the Governor of Bihar